How to Choose a Kayak
Kayaking can be one of the most enjoyable activities that everyone can be apart of. A kayak gives us the freedom to explore various bodies of water from calm rivers to the vast oceans of the world and everything in between. Knowing we can kayak in the majority of these waterways raises the question, "How do I choose a kayak?" Well, that is what The Backpacker is here to answer and help you find the right kayak for you!
What do you plan on using a kayak for?
There are mainly two different types of uses for a kayak; recreational and sport.
- Recreational kayaks are used for leisure on calmer waters in lakes, ponds and slow moving rivers.
- Sport kayaks are used mainly for fishing, racing and white water kayaking.
Shop kayaks at The Backpacker!
Sit-In vs. Sit-on-Top
There are various ways kayaks are classified, but the two main types are sit-in and sin-on-top. Both types can be classified as recreational and/or sport depending on the use.
- Sit-in kayaks are the traditional style of kayaks where you are partially protected from the water, they are lighter weight, have storage compartments, and are more efficient to paddle. A great sit-in kayak offered at The Backpacker is the Jackson Tupelo. The Tupelo is designed for cruising the waterways with comfort and efficiency with loads of storage space.
Shop sit-in kayaks at The Backpacker.
- Sit-on-top kayaks are made mostly for recreational use on calm waterways and family friendly paddle days. These types of kayaks are a safer option in the event that you may capsize so you don't have to perform a "wet exit", but be prepared to get wet either way. Sit-on-top kayaks are usually a great beginner boat unless you plan to use it for sport (fishing). The ideal beginner kayak offered at The Backpacker is the Jackson Riviera. The Riviera is Jackson Kayak’s blend of easy and FUN! Designed for its simplicity, the Riviera is a great option for those looking for an easy to use, easy to store and comfortable sit on top.
- Another type of sit-on-top kayaks are the sport fishing kayaks by Hobie. These kayaks are for the anglers of the world who like to go out with a few fishing poles and a cooler to fill full of the fish they catch. A great kayak for this type of experience is the Hobie Mirage Outback. The Outback is a fully-loaded fishing machine built for every conceivable fishing expedition, whether you’re prowling the ocean for monster gamefish or stalking bass in your favorite freshwater fishing hole. These types of kayaks are peddle-driven and designed to be hands free while making the perfect cast.
Shop kayaks at The Backpacker.