What's included in a Backpacker Tours ski trip package?
We offer two different types of packages: essential packages and charter packages. All packages must at least include lodging. We can always add lift tickets, equipment rentals and lessons to your package.
- The essential packages do not include airfare or transportation.
- We only offer airfare and ground transportation on our 7 night charter packages at Mardi Gras.
Can Backpacker Tours book my ski lessons?
Ski or snowboard school/lessons are not included in your package, but they can be added for skiers and riders of all levels.
Are there other things I will need that are not included in the price?
Backpacker Tours will walk you through everything you need to know in order to have a successful on-mountain adventure. We help you select equipment rentals from the most convenient ski shops (delivery service available), discuss gear storage options, add trip insurance, and you'll receive in-store discounts on ski gear and apparel! We can also give recommendations on grocery delivery services, dinner and entertainment reservations.
How does Backpacker Ski Trips calculate the advertised ski prices?
All Backpacker Tours advertised package prices are per person based on an assumed group of 4 travelers per group. If you have more than 4 travelers in your group, you may see your final quoted price go down. If you have fewer than 4 travelers in your group, you may expect your per person price to go up.
Can I just purchase airfare through Backpacker Ski Trips?
Unfortunately, we are unable to sell airfare packages independently. A package must always include at least lodging before the ability to add airfare.
When is the best time to go skiing?
The USA ski resorts typically open during the week of Thanksgiving and don't close until the end of April. There is no "best time" to go skiing, but here are a few notes on the different months in the season.
- Early December can be pretty economical, but you may not get to ski the whole mountain. Lift and trail access will depend on snowfall because there hasn't been a lot for the snow to accumulate. Most resturaunts and shops will be open at this point.
- The weeks between Christmas and New Years are very popular, which can also make it the most expensive time of the year. Everyone wants to spend the holiday on the mountains, so you'll want to plan early and expect crowds.
- Mid January to early February can be a great time to travel because the rates are low and so are the crowds. You can find a great deal during this time and not have to be worry about sharing the lifts with that many people. Just expect it to be COLD.
- Mardi Gras is one of our favorite times to travel because the resorts are always full of Louisiana travelers on holiday. It's best to book early for this week too because it's such a popular time.
- March through April bring in fun spring skiing. Bluebird days are the norm and the weather starts to warm a bit. Only expect a price deal once the spring crowds have left in early April.
Does booking my ski trip with Backpacker Tours give me a discount for shopping at The Backpacker online or in store?
Yes! Once you pay your deposit and submit all application forms you will be eligible for a discount of 15% off all ski gear and apparel in our stores. You will also receive exclusive deals throughout the season.
Does Backpacker Tours price match packages?
Absolutely! We're proud to offer our Backpacker Price Match Guarantee! If you can find an identical package available at a lower price, we'll match (or try to beat) that price and you'll get all of the benefits of traveling with Backpacker Ski Trips!
Do you offer a frequent skier program?
Yes! In 2019 we started our frequent skier program called Vertical Days. Each skier will earn 1 Vertical Day for every inidivudal lift ticket day purchased through a ski trip with Backpacker Tours. With as few as 10 Vertical Days, you can start to earn exclusive gear. There are five levels of Vertical Days status and you'll get more gear as you rise through the ranks of Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Double Black status!
In 2021, our Double Black travelers received Arc'teryx Whiteline outfits valued at over $1,000!